Braised Chicken Curry with Yams
Recipe adapted from Ming Tsai on Food TV. Serves 4.
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- Canola oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 large White Onions, chopped
- 1 large Banana
- 2 lbs Chicken legs and thighs
- 3 large yams, peeled and copped into 1/2” pieces
- 1/3 cup Madras curry powder
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat a stock pot coated with oil.
- Season the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and throw out excess fat.
- Saute onions and garlic until carmelized.
- Add curry powder and mix quickly for 2 minutes, making sure not to burn the powder.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaves, banana and chicken and bring to a boil.
- Set to simmer and cook for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the ckicken from the pot and add in the yams.
- Cook until the yams are fork tender.
- Add in the chicken and let it warm up.
- Serve over white rice.
30 April 2001