Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Cake
Ingredients - Mousse
- ¼ cup Irish cream liqueur
- 4 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Chilled whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 12 ounces Semisweet chocolate, chopped
Ingredients - Cake
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 6 Eggs
- Pinch Salt
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Instant espresso powder or coffee powder
Ingredients - Syrup
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 5 Tbsp. Water
- 5 Tbsp. Irish whiskey
Ingredients - Assembly
- 4 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate, in small slivers
Directions - Syrup
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in whiskey. Let cool to room temperature.
Directions - Mousse
- Whisk eggs and sugar in large metal bowl.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until a candy thermometer reads 160°F, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bowl from over water. Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until cool and very thick, about 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate in top of another bowl over simmering water; stir until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water and let cool to lukewarm.
- Combine cream and Irish cream liqueur in medium bowl; beat to stiff peaks. Pour lukewarm melted chocolate over egg mixture and fold together. Fold in cream mixture.
- Cover and chill until set, at least 4 hours or overnight
Directions - Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 ¾ - inch high sides. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, espresso powder and salt in a large bowl until mixture thickens and slowly dissolving ribbons form when the beaters are lifted, about 8 minutes.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour over and gently fold into the egg mixture. Repeat 2 more times being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
Directions - Assembly
- Cut cake into three layers. Put syrup on the bottom layer and spread 2 cups of mousse over. Repeat for next two layers. Spread excess mousse over the sides and sprinkle the chocolate slivers all over the cake. Keep cake refrigerated.
30 April 2001