Lemon Dill Chicken
Recipe from Fork in the Road by Paul Prudhomme
Ingredients - Seasoning Mix
- ¼ tsp. White pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Dillweed
- 1 tsp. Dried sweet basil leaves
- 2 cups Onions; julienned (1 large onion)
- 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~1 pound total)
- Dash sugar (optional)
- 1 ½ cups Defatted chicken stock
- ½ cup Fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp. Cornstarch
- 1 cup Apple Juice
- Combine seasoning mix.
- Sprinkle all surfaces of the chicken with 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix. Rub well.
- Dissolve cornstarch in ¼ cup of apple juice and set aside.
- Preheat a heavy 10-inch skillet (or small All-Clad sauce pan) over high heat to 350°F; about 4 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, lower to medium heat, and brown on both sides for at least 1minute per side. Set aside the chicken.
- Return the heat to high and stir in ½ cup of the stock. Deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the onions and the remaining seasoning mix, stir and cook until all the liquid evaporates, about 3-4 minutes.
- Sir in ¼ cup of the lemon juice, deglaze the bottom and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of the apple juice, deglaze bottom and sides and cook until half the liquid remains, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup stock, ¼ cup lemon juice, and ¼ cup apple juice and bring to a boil, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in the cornstarch/apple juice mixture and return to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pot, lower heat to medium, and cook until done, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove chicken and whisk in the sugar.
30 April 2001