Ingredients - Dough
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 4 1/2 tsps. yeast
- ~5-8 cups flour
- 2 tsps. salt
- 3 eggs (kept warm)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 F)
- 1/3 cup sugar
Ingredients - Egg wash coating
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. water
- Mix yeast in 1/2 cup water + 1 tsp. sugar. Let sit for 5-10 mins
- Mix 4 cups flour with the sugar, salt, and butter using an electric mixer until combined and forming course crumbs.
- Add yeast mixure, warm water, and eggs and beat the loose dough with mixer or wooden spoon for ~3mins.
- Slowly stir in just enough flour to form soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Cover the dough w/ plastic wrap and let sit 5 mins.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and kneed for 10 minutes until smooth and satiny.
- Put in oiled bowl and turn so all sides get covered.
- Cover w/ plastic wrap and dish towl until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- Punch down the dough and kneed a few times. Repeat step 8 and 9 once more.
- Cut into 6 pieces and cover with loose plastic wrap for 10 mins.
- Roll into strips.
- Braid/lightly oil/sit for 45 mins covered w/loose plastic wrap.
- Coat with egg wash.
- Bake @ 375F for 40-45 mins.
06 December 2002