Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
Noam’s notes: This is from the May 2003 issue of Cook’s Illustrated. This recipe takes about 90 minutes from start to finish, but it is not that difficult. The end result tasted great.
Makes 10 enchiladas, serving 4-5 as a main dish
Ingredients: Sauce and Filling
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and cut into ¼” strips
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 oz pickled jalapeños, drained
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
Ingredients: Tortillas and Toppings
- 10 six-inch corn tortillas
- Vegetable or corn oil cooking spray
- 3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, diced medium
- 2 limes, quartered
Directions: Sauce and Filling
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering (~2 mins).
- Add onion and cook, stiring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown (~5 mins).
- Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and sugar. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir constantly until coated with spices, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce and water. Stir to separate the chicken pieces and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for eight minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicen is cooked through.
- Use slotted spoon to remove the onions and chicken. Place on a plate and freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantro and cheese in medium bowl and set aside.
- Adjust oven racks to upper and lower middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Coat bottom of 13x9” baking disk with sauce.
- Spread out tortillas on two baking sheets. Spray on both sides with oil. Bake for 4 mins.
- Spread tortillas on countertop. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Place ⅓ cup of filling down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla tightly by hand and place in baking dish, side by side seam-side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over top of tortillas, using spoon back to coat each tortilla.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the enchillads.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake on lower-middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, with avocado, lime, and sour cream.
28 August 2014